WHAT IS DUAL CREDIT?
· Dual credit allows high school students to earn both college and high school credit for specific courses taken at the high school. Dual credit courses are aligned to Waubonsee Community College curriculum.
· Most dual credit courses are IAI/Gen Ed courses. This means that the credit from these courses are guaranteed to transfer to Illinois state colleges and universities. Many private Illinois schools as well as out of state college and universities will also accept the credit. Visit www.transferology.com to check transfer options at a specific college.
· Students who successfully complete these courses with a C or better will earn credit at both Waubonsee Community College and Oswego East or Oswego High School. Student who earn a D, will earn high school credit only.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF DUAL CREDIT?
· Students begin their official transcript with a dual credit course and thus jumpstart their college plans by earning college credit while still in high school. They can complete some of their general education requirements before enrolling at a 2 or 4 year college.
· Dual credit allows students to transfer credits/hours with them and to potential strengthen college applications by demonstrating their readiness for college.
· Students can access courses within their major more quickly and reduce the time and money they spend in college.
HOW DO I ENROLL?
· To enroll in a dual credit course a student must be 16 years old (unless a waiver is granted) and meet the qualifying COMPASS or ACT score. They must also fill out a registration form.
· Articulated credit allows students to take a class through OEHS/OHS and with a certain grade earn credit at a Waubonsee Community College or Joliet Junior College. A student must apply for credit and earn a grade of “B” or better for each semester. Credit is applied upon enrollment in the college granting the articulated credit. Credit cost will be $10 per credit hour and applicable after enrollment in one class at Waubonsee Community College or Joliet Junior College.